Hot summer outfit in style of 1950s with real vintage refurbished straw wide brim platter hat


Flea markets are rare in Spain. Mostly they are in large cities such as Barcelona. But they don't exist in my small city. 





Small shops partly substitute them. They are widespread everywhere. 




While they can’t be called antique, some of them have "antique prices". That is, cheap garbage is sold under the guise of something valuable, very, very expensive. Moreover, often these overpriced items lie on the floor and deteriorate.






I call these establishments "flea stores". If you're lucky, you can find cheap, but valuable vintage items. 






I found the hat I wear on photos in one of such small flea stores. It was not in the best shape - the veil had deteriorated, the hat itself was badly wrinkled. 





So me and my photographer friend (after that we can call ourselves milliners!), had to put in a lot of effort to get it in order.





It was no other way! I love hats. I have a passion for them. I want my collection of them to grow. 





But lately, the stock of hats around me has noticeably thinned out, and it is not possible to get hold of another vintage hat. 




And I don’t want to buy unremarkable examples at inflated prices. 



Their conditions were no better than was of the hat shown with this outfit before it was refurbished.




The button-down cotton skirt, with its color variety of print, matched perfectly with the hat.



The following items helped me to complete the look: a red blouse and belt (you saw them in my “outfit in style of vintage Spanish beauty”), Kelly green necklace, a red bag with an unusual combination of leather and lace, and red loafers.

 



I am wearing:

  • Real vintage scarlet pure silk (Maribor Svila) sleeveless button down blouse with ruffled neckline, made in Yugoslavia, about 1970s-1980s
  • Real vintage white with red/crimson/green/black leaves print cotton knee length buttoned flared skirt by “Jonstorp International”, made in Sweden, about 1970s-1980s
  • (not seen) Black pure silk petticoat, about 2010s
  • (not seen) White cotton petticoat, about 1990s-2010s
  • Real vintage cream straw wide brim platter hat with red and green ribbon decor, probably by "Modas Flora" (Granada), made in Spain, about 1930s-late 1940s
  • Kelly green stone necklace, about 2010s
  • Red genuine leather braided belt, about 2000s
  • Red faux leather and cotton lace handbag with wood handle, about 2000s-2020s
  • Red leather loafers with flat white sole, made in Spain, about 2020s

 



Thus, I ended up with a fresh summer relaxed outfit for a 1950s style holiday. 





Skirts of this style and with this print were worn throughout that decade. While it's certainly not extremely fluffy, I think my look is closer to what girls and women of the 1950s wore in real life. 




But I would date the hat to the 1930s, or at the very least to the early "New Look".





 

In this outfit, you can go for a walk or in search of vintage treasures. 



In this hat, the face and head are perfectly covered from the scorching rays of the Spanish south sun, that is very important for me.


What do you think? Write your thoughts in the comments, I would be very interested to hear your opinion!



Comments

Popular

Warm spring outfit in style of early "New Look" with felt saucer hat with felted flowers

Interview with the Polish milliner lady - Sylwia Leśniewska from Wroclaw

Warm summer outfit in style of late 1960s with real vintage wide brim hat in style of Lady Beltham