How began my journey into the realm of vintage... (part two)


However, later in my life, has finally come the period when I was able to expand my dressing possibilities. I got some modern straw hats (light pink wide brim and beige cloche), a blue wool coat a la Chanel (my favorite), a blue wide brim felt hat, black felt pillbox and leather cap, as well as new colourful purses. Most were made by small enterprises and a few were dresses obtained at secondhand shops, and diversified my wardrobe.










My first truly vintage pieces were 4 hats and 1 cardigan from America: 1 hat from the 1940s (navy cockscomb silk hat with coral beads and veil), 1 hat from a period between 1940 and 1950 (navy straw (?) half-hat with white silk lilac flowers and veil), 2 hats (black Dior-like horsehair saucer hat with velvet ribbon and ivory grosgrain silk half-hat with veil) and 1 cardigan (cream wool cardigan with silk lining, embroidered with glass beads) from the 1950s.

Real 1940s navy cockscomb silk hat with coral beads and veil
Real 1940s navy cockscomb silk hat with coral beads and veil

Real 1940s/1950s navy straw (?) halfhat with white silk lilac flowers and veil
Real 1940s/1950s navy straw (?) halfhat with white silk lilac flowers and veil

Real 1950s ivory grosgrain silk halfhat with veil
Real 1950s ivory grosgrain silk halfhat with veil

Real 1950s black Dior-like horsehair saucer hat with velvet ribbon
Real 1950s black Dior-like horsehair saucer hat with velvet ribbon

Real 1950s cream wool cardigan with silk lining, embroidered with glass beads
Real 1950s cream wool cardigan with silk lining, embroidered with glass beads

Unfortunately, as it happened with my great-grandmother due to life circumstances, I lost them, because a few years later I had to permanently change my place of residence and start life from beginning. I still very miss my collections of hats, postcards, books, clip-on earrings and other sweet things which I left far away.







However, I had little courage to constantly or even often wear hats... although gloves were my constant companions! At that time, I had short hair (probably, of medium length compared with others), less thin eyebrows - so goodbye, Mona Lisa! 








I aspired to be like Marilyn Monroe and Grace Kelly. Also I was a fan of red lipstick, which seemed to me a symbol of the retro era.





With a lack of the right outfits or the presence of too modest outfits, my situation was corrected by accessories - handbags, cardigans, scarves, hats, gloves, shoes, necklaces, bracelets, clip-on earrings (I don’t have pierced ears)...





Therefore, the same dress can be presented as different, but from the most modest dress to make something special.



To be continued...

Comments

Popular

Warm spring outfit in style of early "New Look" with felt saucer hat with felted flowers

Interview with the Polish milliner lady - Sylwia Leśniewska from Wroclaw

Warm summer outfit in style of late 1960s with real vintage wide brim hat in style of Lady Beltham